Recently passed legislation
A package of Bills to implement a part of the federal government’s economic response to the devastating consequences of the coronavirus pandemic has been passed by both Houses of Parliament and received Royal Assent on 9 April 2020.
The legislative package includes the following Bills:
- Coronavirus Economic Response Package (Payments and Benefits) Bill 2020; and
- Coronavirus Economic Response Package Omnibus (Measures No.2) Bill 2020.
- Supporting the practical operation of the JobKeeper scheme;
- Providing a framework for financial support (such as the JobKeeper
Payments) to be provided by the Tax Commissioner to assist businesses and
- their employees through the downturn caused by the pandemic, with specific rules and eligibility criteria to be made in separate rules by the Treasurer;
- Guarantee of lending to small and medium enterprises;
- Supporting the child care sector;
- Modification of information and other requirements;
- Providing additional support for veterans; and
- Tax secrecy measures.